Sunday, November 21, 2010

The L&D Nurse's Death Plan






A Labor and Delivery Nurse's 
Death Plan


  • I believe that dying is a natural process. However, should I be in pain, please do everything in your power to ease it, even if this requires giving me an epidural. I want this to be as quick and pain-free as possible.


  • If I come in dying, please obtain IV access as soon as possible to administer necessary medication. The heavier you sedate me, the better.








  • I don't mind being immobile if I am actively dying. I am sure that I will be too lethargic to roam the halls or to shower, so I don't mind being in a bed.
One of Sally's ancestors painted this picture
  • I understand there are signs and symptoms of dying, but in order to assess this, you must be able to monitor certain changes...

    Not good!
    Good!
    I allow you to assess for these changes even if it requires using medical equipment






    • Because I have done more homework in researching my doctor than I have in surfing the web for this death plan, I trust the physician I have chosen. If it is obvious I am dying, and my doctor tells me this, I won't demand a second opinion from another doctor in another practice.


    • If my death is a long, drawn out process, I don't mind if you augment my death with potassium. If potassium is not available, please smother me with a pillow.







    • It is okay to use the words death and pain. Let's not sugar-coat it; it is what it is.  After all, a turd by any other name would still smell just as awful. 



      • If my brain has no activity... 



      please do not wait until my heart is done pulsating to pull the plug. 









      Thank you for making this day easier on me and my family. I have prearranged for Tiff's Treats© to be delivered to you and your staff shortly after I have been pronounced dead. 









      No comments: