Saturday, February 18, 2012

Best Friends

I had to say goodbye to my best friend yesterday. To date, it has been the hardest decision I have ever made.

I woke up this morning, and my house feels so empty. I am so used to her following me everywhere I go. I miss her terribly. That is pretty much all I can write about Kenora right now because I am so emotionally drained and my eyes are practically swollen shut that they need a break from crying.

But what I do want to say is thank you to all my amazing friends who helped me get through the last three days.

Elise: Our conversation the other day meant so much to me. Thank you for your advice. I can see why your patients love you.

Janelle: Your email helped me feel less guilty about the decision I made. Your words were very comforting. I respect you so much for rescuing elderly, ill dogs. You have a heart of gold for doing what you do.

Randi: Thank you for the card and wine. I was very touched by your message in the card.

Lauren and Marty: Thanks for coming by unannounced and getting me drunk last night. I appreciate your support but my head says a big f-you to you both this morning... but in a good way.

Cam: Thanks for our conversations, and thanks for pointing out that horrible things happen in threes. I guess we won't count your diagnosis as being the first crappy thing that happened to me, otherwise, losing Kenora is just starting the cycle all over again. I love you so much, and I am so happy you have beaten all odds. I am so blessed you are still in my life.

Ann: Thanks for checking in on me. I love and miss you, Sis.

Shawna: Thanks for crying with me and always being there. Kenora loved you so much, as do I. I will treasure the cards the girls made for me.

Terie: You always come through for me. You took the best care of Kenora whenever I was out of town, and I will never forget all that you have done for me.

Sue: Thanks for loving Kenora like she was your own. She loved you so much. I wouldn't have been able to have done this without your help.

Sally: As usual, you were there, crying with me and holding my hand through it all. You were the only one that made Kenora so excited, she would pee.

Dad and Marg: Thanks for your love and support. I love the flowers.

Dr Martin of Brodie Animal Hospital: Thank you so much for coming to my home so that I wouldn't have to take Kenora to the vet (a place she so despised going). You helped my dog die with more dignity than what we afford our human loved ones. You made it so peaceful, and I will never be able to express my gratitude.

Terie, Sue and Sally: Thanks for being there with me when I said my final goodbyes. Thanks for crying with me, and thanks for not mentioning what an ugly crier I am. Oh, and thanks for talking me out of keeping Kenora after she passed so I could cuddle her one last night. You're right, that would have been creepy.

Thanks to everyone else for all the messages of love and condolences.

But most of all, thanks to Kenora for teaching me responsibility and the meaning of unconditional love. I will miss you more than you will ever know, and no other dog will ever replace you. You gave me the best fifteen years of my life. Life will be a huge adjustment without you in it, love bug.



8 comments:

Sandra said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I knew as soon as you said that she followed you everywhere that you had to be writing about a faithful dog.

Consciously Sedated/Rachel Paul said...

Thanks, Sandra. It's been a shitty week, and I can't wait for this horrible feeling to pass;(

A Beer for the Shower said...

I'm really sorry to hear this. You know what's going on over in my neck of the woods, and while things have been difficult, I know they could be worse. We're here if you need anything.

wagthedad said...

Sorry about your loss. Now that I have kids, I sometimes miss the connection I used to have with my pets. Now I try to devote as much time as I can, but they walk around all disgruntled and I feel bad about it.

I think it's wonderful you have such support to get through all of this. You really discover who is important in your life when you need them.

Demandra said...

Good lord. I leave blogging land for a bit and come back to pure ouch. I'm so sorry! You need to have about 4 million years of nothing but bliss. Seriously. I'm putting in an order for you. Oy.

Bretthead said...

You are sweet. Lucky dog. Lucky you. Sorry for your loss.

Consciously Sedated/Rachel Paul said...

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it;)

A Beer for the Shower said...

I'm damn sorry to hear about your loss, my friend. I've been there multiple times, and it never gets any easier. Here's me lifting a glass in honor of you and Kenora. Take care of yourself.